Saturday, May 11, 2013

Beautiful Germany Part II

So here's another load of pictures:
When I visited my friend in Hamburg a few weeks ago we took a trip to the Baltic Sea. Which seemed kind of stupid because it was 10° C (about 50° F) at the  most and the sun only showed sporadically. But I had never been the Baltic Sea before, so I didn't mind the weather. We went to the beach at Timmendorfer Strand which is about an hour from Hamburg.



I loved all the little beach chairs. They were mainly empty though, due to the weather. We were lucky to be there in April, because in the summer (starting from May) you have to be a guest of one of the many spas in town to be allowed on the beach. Timmendorfer Strand is a tourist town for spa guests and families and in summer the beach can get pretty crowded (at least that's what I heard). But we were "lucky" because the weather drove almost all other people away.


Beach chairs for rent
Walk along the beach
On our way back from our short visit to the beach we stopped in the Hanseatic city of Lübeck. Its landmark is the Holsten Gate, an old and beautiful city gate:



To have a great view over Lübeck we went up to a viewing platform on St. Petri's Church. I especially love the pointy roofs of the old brick houses.

St.Petri's church

City hall
 Lübeck has a really cute city center. There was a little market on the square in front of city hall where wool and fabric and self-sewn clothes were sold. They had great stuff but I have to admit I like markets with food better. Still I very much enjoyed walking around the small streets of Lübeck.



Typical northern German brick building

City map for blind people
And again, I think it's enough for today. The photos of Castle Neuschwanstein will be coming up next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment