Sunday, July 14, 2013

Munich's Cat Café Katzentempel - my new favorite place!


I found my absolutely favorite Café in Munich: Germany's first "Katzencafé" Café Katzentempel, offering hot coffee, vegan food and cuddly cats!
The principle of a cat cafés is nothing new, at least not in Asia. The Japanese had this great idea to put two of my favorite things together - coffee and cats! So of course I was deeply jealous when I read a feature on a newly opened cat café in Vienna (the Café Neko) a few months ago, thinking I would totally be a regular there if I lived in Vienna. Imagine my joy when I heard that a cat café just recently opened in Schwabing's Türkenstraße.

So I went there this weekend and these are my impressions:



Playful Gizmo



the Café

Beautiful Ayla

At Café Katzentempel six cats have taken the command. You can read about the first four of them - Gizmo, Ayla, Jack and Balou - in the menu or on the website. The two Siamese babies Saphira and Robyn are still new at the Café and a little shy. I was able to get a peek of one of them though.


Little Saphira or Robyn

The Café was pretty quiet and not too packed when I went there in the late afternoon. The cats seemed relaxed and were lying around sleeping everywhere: on the floor, in the baskets, in the window... Gizmo was really playful and jumped almost a meter to catch his toy mouse. He seems to be a really active one. But the cats don't really come to you. Humans are nothing special to them, so if you wanna pet one or play with one you need to approach them.
I got a juice and sat down next to sleeping Ayla in the window. When the waitress came to clear the table the rustling of the paper bill woke Ayla up. I was explained that her favorite toys are paper balls which she showed me immediately when I crumbled up the bill and threw is to her paws.
The café is spacious and has not too many tables and chairs crammed into it, which is nice. 



Where's the paper ball?
Now you might wonder what animal welfare says about that? The cats are rescues and checked by vets and cat welfare organisations. The cats have an own quiet room which can't be accessed by guests and where they can retreat if the café is getting too crowded and noisy for them.The owner of the café also made sure that the cats are especially people-friendly and can stand being petted by strangers every day. I didn't have the impression that any of the cats would try to scratch me as long as I didn't hassle them too much.

And if you're doubting the health standards of the café I can tell you this: yes, a cat hair might end up in your coffee (just like a leaf might end up there when you're sitting outside). But the kitchen is completely separated from the café and the cats can't get in there. The food, which is healthy and vegan, arrives at your table covered, so you can be sure there was no contact with the cats up until this point. From there it's up to you. But if you love cats like I do, and maybe even own/owned one you won't mind!



Oh and I said early that coffee and cats is a great combination. Well, there's another great combination which I just discovered a few days ago: photos of cats and men. A fellow blogger publishes great and really funny pictures of cute cats and handsome men looking alike. Check it out: Des Hommes et des Chatons.


Ayla dreaming of the cats of Des Hommes et des Chatons?








2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just came across this post as I'm trying to figure out how to get to Katzentempel. Can I ask, what is the closest U-Bahn stop? And then is it easy to find Katzentempel once you're there? Thanks for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closest U-Bahn station would be Universität (U3/6). Then go down Schellingstraße and turn left into Türkenstraße. if you take the Tram 27 to Schellingstraße it's even closer though. Enjoy the cats ;)

      Delete